Assistant Professor, Journalism
As Assistant Professor of Journalism, you will teach at both undergraduate and graduate levels, as applicable be involved in course and/or curriculum development conduct research/scholarship participate on College and University committees and/or initiatives and perform other duties as assigned.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to: be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning be committed to effective use of technology including distance learning produce peer reviewed scholarship and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
FGCU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity and Access Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, genetic predisposition, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, veteran status, and any other protected class(es), as required by applicable state and federal law, as well as University regulations and policies.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Plans and teaches a 3/3 load of undergraduate and/or graduate Journalism courses.
- Prepares syllabi, instruction materials, coordinates lectures, tests, and evaluates.
- Maintains highest possible standards of classroom instruction.
- Keeps abreast of new information and developments in field of instruction.
- Actively serves on university committees.
- Actively participates in institutional meetings.
- Maintains professional skills through regular professional development, and other activities appropriate to higher education faculty.
- Assists with curriculum and program development.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Additional Job Description
- Terminal degree (e.g., Ph.D., MFA) in Journalism or related area from an accredited institution.
- ABD will be considered if degree is conferred by August 4, 2024. If successful candidate is ABD, appointment will be made at a Lecturer level on a fixed contract.
- Demonstrated evidence of teaching experience at the college or university level.
- Broadcast news experience.
- Experience working in public relations.
- Interdisciplinary teaching and research perspective with well-defined research goals. Willingness to engage in service opportunities commensurate with career maturity.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience with and commitment to the use of instructional technology, a willingness to cultivate an interdisciplinary perspective; and a demonstrated commitment to professional development.
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching. Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value continued scholarship and service to the school and university.
- Skills in broad teaching strength across the Journalism curriculum.
- Ability to teach in the area of digital, multimedia journalism.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2024.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida's Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida's Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Research
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Five (5) Professional References
The position is listed as "open until filled", however applications received by November 15, 2023 will receive priority consideration.
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
To apply, visit https://fgcu.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/eaglejobs/job/Main-Campus/Assistant-Professor--Journalism_R0004312?workerSubType=7606cd1535ba016f9151c43d68012214&workerSubType=7606cd1535ba01e56580c43d68012414&workerSubType=7606cd1535ba014f6fabc43d68012614
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency